Huge thank you to Danielle Munday PA-C & Lisa Sheehan PA-C at Connecticut Dermatology Group for sharing their recommendations for the best facial moisturizers for your skin-type!
Dry sensitive skin
Dry skin is characterized by a lack of moisture within the skin which causes an increase in flaking, redness, and irritation. The most important factor when choosing a moisturizer for dry skin is to look for products that restore the skin barrier.
- Vanicream, is non-greasy, fragrance, lanolin, and, paraben FREE. It is perfect for individuals with sensitive skin. People with numerous contact allergies can also benefit from using this product.
- CeraVe, is a light weight, oil-free, non-comedogenic facial moisturizer. The CeraVe AM has SPF 30 sunscreen to get you through your day while the CeraVe PM has a light hydrating cream that leaves your skin feeling refreshed in the morning.
- Skinceuticals Triple Lipid Restore, has anti-aging properties and restores essential skin lipids. Skin lipids are a crucial component of skin elasticity, which is a contributing factor in maintaining youthful skin. This moisturizer is beneficial for those who have extremely dry, flaking skin.
Oily skin can often lead to increased shine and plays a major role in acne formation. The main goal when picking out a facial moisturizer in those with oily skin is to ensure that your product says oil-free, non-comedogenic.
- Cetaphil Oil Absorbing Moisturizer, has Micropearl technology which absorbs surface oil, helps reduce shine, and gives skin a matte finish.
- La Roche-Posay Effaclar Mat Moisturizer, has dual action properties that reduces the appearance of excess oil and smooths textural changes within the skin.
- Skinceuticals Hydrating B5 Serum, is an ideal moisturizer for those for oily skin. This serum combines vitamin B5 and hyaluronic acid to give your skin that hydrated feel without creating a thick film to clog your pores.
Combination skin consists of areas of the skin that produce excess oil in conjunction with areas of dry, flaking skin. There needs to be a balance between replenishing the skin barrier without increasing oil which can promote breakouts.
- Alastin Restorative Skin Complex, has TriHex technology which helps supports the production of collagen and elastin within the skin. Collagen and elastin create a foundation to help prevent aging.
- Skinceuticals Daily Moisture, is a light weight, antioxidant rich moisturizer that is enhanced with Vitamin E to decrease oil production and the replenish moisture in the skin
- CeraVe and Vanicream are also beneficial for those with combination skin.