It has all sorts of names: Kinetic Sand, Sensory Dough, Moon Sand, Cloud Dough…the list goes on. No matter what you call it, kids love playing with this stuff. And it’s great for their imagination! I’m personally a little late to the Kinetic Sand phenomenon and now I feel like everyone is buying it or trying to make it at home. You can buy it from lots of different online retailers – as well as local toy shops. Remember that many local shops are still open and offering curbside pickup. Call ahead to see if they have it in stock and they’ll be happy to help you – remember to support local during this time as much as you can! Westchester has some great toy stores; check out our list here.
That said, it’s also super easy to make DIY Kinetic Sand with ingredients you likely already have in your pantry. I pulled together a few different recipes from other crafty blogs to show you how you can make it with all kinds of different ingredients. If you don’t have actual sand, you can easily make it with cornstarch, flour, or milk powder as your base. I’ve also included some tips for ways you can play with it. And remember the best kinds of bins to use are the ones that are low enough that your kids can reach into them but high enough that there will be minimal spillage. Enjoy!
MILK POWDER BASE
- Break out your sand toys and make fun shapes and build a sand castle.
- Take your teacup sets and use the cups to mold the sand.
- Use Play-Doh scissors and other tools to cut the shapes you make.
- Use figurines to make it a dessert play land.
- Take measuring cups and other kitchen utensils like cookie cutters and ice cream scoops to make unique shapes.
- Dye the sand with different food coloring to make rainbow creations.